Coding for Kids – 2015

One of my resolutions for 2015 is to do more coding with my Year 3 class. So typical me , I have gone crazy finding everything and anything to do with coding.

As I don’t have a class set of Ipads, I had to find something we could use with our desktop computers. You cannot  go past code.org to introduce coding to students of all ages. code.org also ran ‘An Hour of Code 2014’ which was supported by many experts, students, teachers and parents.

There are different courses available. Once registered, I enrolled my students in course 1 which is designed for early readers, as they have never done coding before. The courses are very easy to follow, self paced and have great videos by experts to guide and instruct students on what to do.

coursescourses 1

Teachers can easily follow student’s progress. On thing I really like are the lesson plans that go with each step. Plans can be viewed online or downloaded as a PDF. All the necessary worksheets are also provided. The Common Core standards, ISTE standards, CSTA K-12 Computer Science standards are listed at the end of each online lesson. (Although not listed, they do link to our draft Technologies ACARA standards). Everything needed is right there, even assessment tasks! I would recommend you watch the video ‘How to use the new teacher dashboard’ before you begin.

courses 3

I am going to give students and parents a list of Apps which can be downloaded on IOS and Android devices at home. Here are a few to start with. Click the pictures to go to the iTunes store.

Apps for Phones and Tablets

Kodable

Kodable

Tiny Tap

Tiny Tap

Scratch online

Scratch online

Cao’s Hike Lite

Cao’s Hike Lite

Tynker

Tynker

Lightbot

Lightbot

Dynamic Art Lite

Dynamic Art Lite

Scratchjr

Scratchjr

Bee Bot

Bee Bot

Cargo Bot

Cargo Bot

Daisy the Dinosaur

Daisy the Dinosaur

A.L.E.X.

A.L.E.X.

More  Programming Websites

Coding

Programming

Coding websites 

KM 🙂